Tagliatelle, Black Truffles, Housemade Butter
Chef Curtis Stone
Chef Curtis Stone
Tagliatelle: The tagliatelle can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Store at room temperature.
- 550g “00” Flour
- 6 large egg yolks (100g)
- 4 large eggs (220g)
- 10g olive oil
For 1 portion of pasta:
- 50g (about 15 pieces) tagliatelle
- 50g truffle butter (hold cubed butter in the same container as truffle), at room temperature
- 50ml warm chicken stock (sub pasta water or vegetable stock for vegetarian)
- 2g shaved truffle
- Black or white truffles, for shaving
To make the pasta dough:
- Weigh the flour and set aside. Weigh all wet ingredients and put aside.
- Place the flour in a pile on a clean work surface. Make a well in the center. Add the eggs and olive oil to the well. Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork until dough forms.
- Knead dough for 15 minutes until gluten has developed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 1 hour.
To roll and form the pasta:
- Dust 1 piece of pasta with flour and flatten with your hand into a rectangle. Run the dough through the widest setting of the pasta maker. Fold into thirds and repeat the rolling and folding about 4 times, dusting the folded dough piece with flour as needed before running it through the machine each time. This helps knead the dough and make it more elastic.
- Reduce the space between the rollers one setting at a time until reaching the 1 1/2 mark (on an Imperio Pasta Machine). Roll the dough through this setting one more time. The dough will be about 1 1/2 mm thick. Lay the sheets of dough on a floured work surface and trim to a length of 16 inches.
- Using a sharp knife or pasta cutting attachment, cut the dough into 1/3-inch (1cm-) wide strips.
- Line half sheet trays with parchment paper and lightly dust with flour. Line the cut noodles in an even layer over the parchment and cover with another piece of parchment. Repeat with one more layer, covering the second layer with parchment paper. Leave to sit in a cool dry place until ready to serve.
To cook 1 portion of pasta:
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the tagliatelle for 1 to 2 minutes, or until just cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy frying pan over low heat, add the truffle butter, stock, and shaved truffle. Drain the pasta and add to the pan. Toss to emulsify. Add more chicken stock if necessary to achieve a saucy consistency. Season to taste with salt. Plate and serve immediately, shaving (or microplaning) truffles tableside.
la tua ricetta